Job Title: Program Director
Location: based in Bend, Oregon – work throughout Central Oregon
Start Date: Tentative start is January 2022
Applications will be reviewed as received, interviews will be held in early December.
The High Desert Food and Farm Alliance (HDFFA) is a non-profit whose mission is to support a healthy and thriving food and farm network in Central Oregon through education, collaboration and inclusivity. We meet our mission by fostering relationships between producers (farmers, ranchers and food businesses) and consumers, increasing awareness of and access to food from our region, and cultivating community participation with local food. We serve farmers, ranchers, food businesses, nonprofits and underserved families in the high desert region of Crook, Deschutes and Jefferson Counties. We believe everyone deserves good food.
We offer four core program areas: Grow & Give, a fresh food donation and on-farm gleaning program; VeggieRx, a fresh vegetable and fruit prescription program; Agricultural Support for farmers and ranchers; and our annual online and print High Desert Food & Farm Directory.
HDFFA is seeking a passionate and extremely organized full-time Program Director to oversee and manage our programs: Food Access, VeggieRx, Agricultural Support, and the annual Food & Farm Directory. The Director oversees a dynamic team of staff members who work in collaboration with many stakeholders. They will directly report to the Executive Director.
The ideal candidate is committed to local food and farms and has experience working in rural regions, preferably within Central Oregon. They will enjoy working with a dynamic team and have supervision experience. They must have grant and program management experience, be able to write grants, and have the skills to work collaboratively with partner organizations including public and private agencies, agricultural producers, and food businesses. They should be familiar with diversity, equity and inclusion principles and be willing to engage and learn. They will work closely with the Executive Director.
Primary responsibilities and functions
Program and Staff Oversight (~50%)
- Grant management for state, federal and private grants including reports and budgets
- Sustain, enhance and drive food access and agricultural support programs in coordination with associated staff members
- Supervise part and full-time staff and Hunger-Free AmeriCorps VISTA
- Coordinate the work of the program team, including subcontractors, consultants and agency partners
- Co-create key advocacy initiatives with staff and the Executive Director
- Establish evaluation metrics for programs
Partnerships/Relationship Building (~25%)
- Build and maintain trusting relationships with a diverse set of stakeholders, including government agencies, the Central Oregon Health Council, NeighborImpact food bank, Warm Springs tribal members, Crook County on the Move and others
- Cultivate shared vision among stakeholders
- Continue to work with and learn from our partners in the Confederated Tribes of Warm Springs, and be willing to share best practices and lessons learned back to the HDFFA team
- Work colalboratively with our target audiences, including rural and vulnerable communities
- Maintain a relationship with Hunger-Free America for the VISTA program
- Participate on the leadership team for the Oregon Community Food system network (dependant upon application process)
Food & Farm Directory (~10%)
- Content creation
- Assist with outreach and Partner management
- Assist with data entry and website management
- Staff supervision
- Support the Executive Director in organizational strategy development
- In partnership with the Executive Director and Community Engagement Manager, write and manage public and private grants for the program budget
- Support the Executive Director in growing financial resources
- Advance internal and external work on Equity, Diversity and Inclusivity
- Participate as a key member of the HDFFA’s Team
Application materials will be reviewed as received. Applications can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to PO Box 1782 Bend OR 97709.
HDFFA provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.