Practice stretching your local food dollars with these tips and tricks:
- Shop in season – Take advantage of the best price (and flavor) as items become available in season at your grocery store and farmers markets.
- Preservation – Grab an extra bag or two of your favorite produce and preserve, dehydrate or freeze foods so you can enjoy local year round (info at https://extension.oregonstate.edu/deschutes).
- Get happy! – Find happy hour or locals night specials offered at HDFFA featured restaurants and breweries.
- Plan ahead – Meal planning can help ensure you only purchase what you need, eliminate food waste, and save time later in the week when hunger hits.
- Stay flexible – Substitute ingredients when you can to take advantage of what’s on sale.
- Bulk buys – Check out the bulk bins for low priced pantry staples and attend Fill Your Pantry this fall to stock up on storage crops at a great price.
- Buy a half or quarter cow or pig and save dollars off the pound, consider splitting it with a friend or divvying up with your family
- Go straight to the source – Connect with your local farmers and ranchers to buy in bulk directly from them. Search our online directory here!
- Use HDFFA coupons found on our website here.
Additional food access resources:
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
Women Infants and Children (WIC) locations and resources can be found by calling 211 or at www.oregon.gov/oha/PH/HEALTHYPEOPLEFAMILIES/WIC/.
Central Oregon food pantries
Fill Your Pantry (bulk buying event)