Recipe from Chef Suzanne Landry
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion minced (about 1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 green pepper chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 medium carrot chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 stalk celery chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 cups precooked red beans (kidney, chili, or pinto)
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (28 oz)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-2 teaspoons chili powder (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup corn added to chili
- 1/4 cup bulgur wheat to thicken the chili (add additional cup water)
- 1/4 cup red onion diced, 1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro, 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
- In a medium size soup pot, sauté onion in oil for 1-2 minutes on medium heat. Add garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Add green pepper, carrots, celery and sauté for an additional 5 minutes to soften veggies. Add all remaining ingredients, cover, bring to boil. Lower the heat and simmer 15 minutes. Adjust seasoning for your taste. Remove bay leaves and discard. Add more chili, cumin, or soy sauce to your liking.
- You can serve in individual bowls garnished with chopped raw onion, cilantro, and shredded cheese or let everyone garnish their own family style.