HDFFA is committed to supporting farms in our region. This means working hand in hand to understand their needs and finding and providing resources to improve their ability to grow food for us, the community, and meet our values of making food accessible for everyone.
We offered producers the opportunity to apply for Season Extender Grants through the Growing it Forward project funded by USDA from 2017-2020. The overall goal of this project was to increase food production opportunities and low income access to fresh food utilizing season extenders in Central Oregon.
The expected outcomes of the program were to increase:
- Knowledge of greenhouse management, plant selection and succession planting; and other topics
- Viability and profitability of agricultural producers
- Local food markets for Central Oregon consumers
- Amount of fresh food delivered to food pantries/banks
- Self-reliance and confidence in using season extenders
Greenhouses are crucial to farming in our region and this grant allowed us to extend our growing season tremendously. – 2018 Grant Recipient
Eligibility Requirements for the 2020 Season
- Be a 2020 HDFFA Partner
- Be an existing agricultural producer in Crook, Deschutes or Jefferson counties
- Primary markets are in Crook, Deschutes or Jefferson counties
- Have established direct and/or wholesale markets for a minimum of one year
Minimum Participatory Requirements
- Season extender structure or equipment is utilized in the same growing season in which you apply for funds
- Provide a documented minimum 1 to 1 cash match (i.e. you pay for at least 50% of the total costs of the season extender project)
- Participate in a workshop provided by HDFFA/OSU Extension in 2020 related to increasing produce production, season extender construction, or improving on-farm efficiencies (contact us for workshops options)
- Donate a portion of the food grown (to NeighborImpact Food Bank through HDFFA’s Grow & Give Program or to another approved organization)
- Submit 4 or more digital photos (pre and post construction)
- For evaluation purposes only, submit a final report that includes:
- Season extender produce production estimates (quantity/lbs./type of produce grown, and in what months)
- Total produce sales and market destination of produce
Applications are closed for 2020. For questions, please contact email@example.com.
Grants have ranged from $500-$3500 depending on the type of project and funding request.
2018 Season Extender Grant Impact Summary, click here
We began accepting applications for the 2020 Season Extension Grant period in January, 2020. Applications are no longer being accepted for this year.