You may know the names of our farming and ranching partners from seeing their products in the store or at the farmers market. You may be a fan of their beautiful images and stories posted on social media. We are lucky to have these creative, hard-working people contributing to our lives. It can be hard to see (because farmers are sometimes quiet about their contributions), but our local producers are walking the talk when it comes to food access, inclusivity, and education for everyone in Central Oregon.
There are too many examples to list completely, but they are varied and show real concern and commitment to the people of our region and beyond. Our partners live the HDFFA mission of education, collaboration, and inclusivity every day:
- Sarahlee Lawrence of Rainshadow Organics teaming up with Harrison Scheib of Jackson’s Corner to show people how to bake amazing bread with local flour during a virtual InFARMation from Friends of Family Farmers;
- Piggyback Ranch recently donating 100 pounds of sausage to Bethlehem Inn and Shepard’s house, organizations that give shelter to the houseless and help them transition to more stable lives;
- Our many farm partners who donate tons of produce every season to feed needy families via HDFFA’s Grow and Give program;
- Sunriver Brewing donating $5 of case proceeds to benefit the Black Lives Matter efforts;
- And Boone Dog Pizza donating all proceeds and donations from a day of their business to NAACP Empowerment Movement, and continuing to donate a portion of proceeds directly to organizations fighting locally and nationally to end systemic racism. It goes on and on: our local farmers are neighbors who know our community and help out wherever that can.