Welcome to the 2017 Local Food Challenge!
Our 3rd annual Local Food Challenge connects us to the producers of our food. We are asking you to eat, buy, find or write about local food every day and learn more about Central Oregon’s bounty along the way!
What is local?
For the HDFFA, local includes products grown, raised or crafted in Crook, Deschutes and Jefferson Counties. This includes salad greens grown by a local farmer, beef raised by a local rancher, and jams and jellies made right here with local ingredients.
How to Participate
Click on the button to the left and every day from Oct 1-7th we’ll send you mini-challenges (trivia and actions you can take such as photo or recipe submissions). The more challenges you do the better your odds of winning!
- $100 of farm fresh food
- Basket full of Central Oregon crafted foods
- Chef-led cooking class led by Stephanie, a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner, Natural Chef, and Real Food Advocateand owner of Cook By Color Nutrition.
Your prize includes a phone consult, 30 minute shopping session at your local store of choice, and a 1 hour cooking session where you will tap into the playful, intuitive and fun side of feeding yourself with your local food haul. Simple, real, delicious food can be as nourishing to make as it is to eat. Whether you are looking to learn some basics, or get some meal prep inspiration- let’s get cooking!
Check out the Cook By Color Food Gallery for ideas on what you’d want to create together.
Local Food Deals!
These deals are only available Oct 1-7th
Josie’s Best GF Mixes
$1 off any 2+ packages
+ pumpkin spice recipe
redeem online or email Josiesbestgf@gmail.com
use coupon HDFFA
Hope Springs Dairy
Get a herdshare
Get the 1st month free
Vaquero Valley Ranch
$1 off Grass-Fed Beef
at Bend Farmer Market
Holm Made Toffee
Buy 2 Get 1 Free (4 oz)
Bend Farmers Market
Buy 1 Get 1 FREE
Show this ad
Buy 1 Growler fill
Get the 2nd 1/2 off
Visit the taproom
Order 2 locally-sourced dishes
Get a FREE dessert
Just show this ad
Windy Acres Dairy
Visit the farm
Get a gallon of milk
Central Oregon Locavore
$5 off $25 or more purchase
Just show this ad
Why should I do this?
The more we buy and eat Central Oregon food, the more our community benefits.
- Local food tastes better. The distance from the farm to your plate is shorter, so the food is fresher – and you can taste the difference!
- Local food is better for you. Farmers that grow food for their community harvest their products at the peak of perfection which retains far more of its nutritional integrity.
- It strengthens the whole community. When your money is spent locally, more of it stays here. A stronger local economy means more jobs and a better future for the next generation.
Win Daily Prizes
Each day we send you an email with easy, fun challenges. For every question you answer, photo you post or recipe you provide you get up to 5 points a day, and are entered to win the daily prize.
- $20 of fresh local food
Each time you earn a point you are entered to win the grand prize. So, of course, the more challenges you take the more likely you are to win!
- $100 of fresh local food
- Chef-led cooking class for you and friends
- Gift basket of locally crafted foods